You will need to retain an attorney as part of your home-selling team. You are entitled to consult with a legal representative at any time during the process. Please remember that a timely response to an offer is important and your agent is not responsible if the buyer rescinds their offer before your attorney responds.
There are several ways to find and choose an attorney:
- It is important to select an attorney that specializes in real estate to minimize the occurence of potential problems within the transaction and negotiation process
- Many state and local bar associations have lawyer referral services that will give you the names of attorneys practicing law who are admitted to practice in Connecticut
- Your real estate agent, family or friends may recommend a local attorney whom they have used for real estate transactions with good results.
- Title insurers maintain lists of attorneys authorized to write insurance policies that handle real estate transactions
- Buyers should check with their lender to assure that the attorney they chose is on their approved list